Rolling Thunder Cyclocross Race November 3rd

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Breckinridge Epic - Stage 4

Stage 4- The Aqueduct Loop- 41 miles and 7300' of climbing- The race profile of this sucker looked like a sharks teeth with one giant prehistoric shark tooth stuck in the middle!

Well, another day ticked off, and in fact, it's kind of depressing to be writing the 4th report, because that means that the 6th is nigh! We're not sure if we're ready for this "vacation" to end (minus the whole missing fam and friends bit). So here's a look into our typical day...or perhaps a day in the life!

6am wake up, muhly makes coffee (aka rocket fuel), parsons whips up the oatmeal, fruit, eggs, and bagels. After eating, we choke down about twenty pills (pics, antifatigues, endurance aminos, race caps supreme, mitos, super ao) that Born has prescribed us, then we each shower (individually, we're not that close of teammates) and stretch to get the muscles warmed up. apply chamois/leaders jerseys and LIBERAL amounts of seat saver, fill the bottles and stash them in the feed bags and boogie to the venue. 8am we "warm-up" by riding over to the start which starts at 810 prompt. 810 to roughly 12, race (you know, suffer, blow up, feel great, rip trail, make adjustments, chow pills, drink heed, chow more pills, rip more trail, and start to wish the stage was over one or two climbs too soon). After 12, drink coke, drink recoverite, each salty chips, eat fig newtons LOADED with peanut butter, and pedal to the venue again to wash the bikes. Drop bikes of to Chad of Shimano (the best guy we've met yet!) to have them buffed out while we soak legs in the freezing cold river for 10 minutes. Back to man cave, eat more, call the fam, eat more, kick the legs up, stretch, kick legs up, eat again, blog, then rally to the awards at 5. Stand on podium, get another jersey (still having to pinch ourselves, neither of us have spent that much time on the top), hear race description, pick up cherried bikes, drive home, make dinner. Eat dinner, eat second course of dinner, eat some newman o's or lizzies huckleberry scotchie oat bars, and slam down another slough of pills. Get feeds for tomorrow figured out, check cyclingnews again just to see if the bastards have posted results yet, pop rem caps, another ice bath (muhly just loves these.. ha!), a quick "good game" butt slap to one another, and lights out, 9 pm.

That's pretty much it, kind of boring, completely self absorbed, but still a dream to live for a brief week. We've truly enjoyed our experience thus far and are both amazed at how well we've raced together. Both of us have had our shares of tough times and it's been super encouraging to have a bud to keep you going and help pull you out of old man pain's cave.

Oh by the way, we had an incredible first two hours on todays stage, then 4 days of big riding decided to accumulate in muhly's quads on a 2000' climb. Fortunately, he never bonked and still managed to pound the pedals for another 2 hours while we rolled across the line pretty close to top ten if not top ten in the open. Our Swiss buds rolled across the line 20 or so minutes down and apparently had an "epic" day.

Well, it's getting close to awards, so we better wrap up the blog and kick the legs back up and eat some more!


Clint and Ben

No comments: