Apologies in advance and to all the amazing riders and performances that happened before my time. I know there were some good ones. I wish I'd been racing for all the Herzig, Proctor, Brink, Rankin, Wehyrich, Longmire, and TJ chronicles....or seen the Jason Hobson solo attacks. I know there's some amazing stories out there.....Also props to all the MT Lady racers (you all deserve your own list). I kept this list to dudes only.
10. Phil Grove Taco Tuesday Time Trial Record. TTTT is a tradition we have at UM Cycling. Phil put down the course record one nasty Tuesday evening. It will never be broken....he was breathing fire....
9. Bill Martin winning the Butte 100 after getting lost. Bill is just nasty on the mtb and the longer the better. To win the Butte 100 that year you needed some all around skills......orienteering, endurance, and perserverance. (I wasn't there for this one, but it was a really unique impressive performance)
8. Doug Dale puts himself so deep in the red at the Thunder. Doug stays with Mully all race long. Although he finished 2nd to the better man that day I've never seen someone get so deep in the chamber.
7. John Curry soloing the last lap of the Tour of the Bitterroot to hold off the field. GAS threw attacks out all day, and JC finished his team's effort off with a super human performance.
6. Ben Parson's win at Cow Country. A road racing newbie goes from cat 5 to cat 3 in a couple months. His win at Cow Country was a great spectacle of teamwork (with Butterfield in the break..all day), but quite the performance from the young gun, with little road experience.
5. Brad Morgan's solo victory in the Helena dirt crit. He held off the field for more then 2/3 of the race. Arguably the strongest Montana cross field of the year. On the finishing stretch the head wind was miserable. I don't know how he did that.....
4. Josh Tack spends half the day in a break at Bearmouth, gets reeled in, then proceeds to follow the winning move and the win the 5 up sprint. He said he was going to be aggressive....
3. Ben Kneller solos to victory in the Rocky Mountain Roubaix. Everyone thought he was some MSU dude. He snuch off the front and never looked back. It was the start of the business casual legend.
2. Frank Gonzalez wins the State Championship in one of the great cross battles of all time. John Curry v Frank the Tank all season and it comes down to a 100 meter sprint on dirt. Frank takes it.....cool as ever..
1. Clint Muhfeld lapping everyone and there mother at the inagural Rolling Thunder. Yes, it was a short course, but at that time there was no one who could touch Mully.
-Adam Jensen at the Tour of the Bitterroot road race finding a gear that others didn't have.
-Phil Grove putting up the fastest Pattee Canyon Hill Climb time in 15 years.
-Bob Presta in every Wednesday Night cross race this year.
-Dave Hartman 24 hours of Rapelj......I think he was on a single speed in a cow pasture for 24 hours....think about that
So, who will create the next Montana Legendary Performance. It could be you.......